It’s no secret that my favourite food combination is peanut butter and banana. The most popular and easy way to have it is on toast- and I’ve eaten that plenty of times. However, it’s a meal that has little protein in it, meaning that it won’t keep you full for several hours. But incorporating it in this high-protein recipe will make oatmeal tasty and healthier than ever before. Plus, with the weather getting colder and colder, it will also keep you warm during the winter!
- 1 banana (the riper the better)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats*
- 3/4 cup liquid egg whites
- 1/2 cup water**
- 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter***
* Quick oats may make the cooking time quicker, but you can use regular oats if you wish.
** You can use milk if you wish (can be dairy or dairy-free).
*** You can substitute for another type of butter (i.e. almond,
1. Using a fork, mash the banana in a microwavable cereal bowl.
2. Add oats, egg whites, and water.
3. Stir mixture before putting it in the microwave.
4. Microwave on high for three minutes, taking it out every minute to stir.
5. By the 30 second mark, watch to ensure that it doesn’t overflow. If the risk is there, take it out- it’s done by that point.
6. Top with peanut butter. You can stir it, or leave it as is.
Makes 1 serving.