I’ve had one too many bad days recently, and it’s been taking a toll on me. It negatively impacts all aspects of my life- my health, my work and more. I tend to overeat bad foods, miss workouts and sleep poorly. All in all, it leaves me a mess.
With that in mind, I decided to create a list of 10 healthy ways you can destress after a bad day. I know this will help me in managing stress after a bad or long day. Perhaps one or more of these suggestions will help you as well, should you find yourself in a similar position.
- Read a few chapters of any self-improvement book (The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck; Girl, Stop Apologizing; The Hero of You; etc.).
- Write something- poetry, brainstorming, journaling…whatever comes to mind.
- Put on a face mask. Your skin will appreciate this method the most!
- Watch TV, a movie or some YouTube videos about productivity.
- Burn a candle.
- Listen to my favourite music OR my “Chill AF” playlist full of calm music.
- Listen to a few episodes of a podcast. My current favourites include Girls Gotta Eat, The Skinny Confidential: Him & Her and With Whit, among many others.
- Write out To Do lists and/or plan my week out.
- Clean- yes, really. Getting rid of any and all messes can help because I know that it’s one less thing to do.
- Sleep- whether it’s a nap or a goodnight’s sleep, it helps really recharge my batteries.
No one likes having a bad day. They make you feel anything from absolute hell to a little annoyed. While there are certain things you can’t change no matter how much you wish you could, you can change how you handle a bad day. Destressing in a healthy manner helps put you in a better mood and prepare to (hopefully) have a better day.
In the meantime, here’s hoping that you’ll end up experiencing more good days than bad in the future! I know I’m hoping that for myself right now, at least.